Re: can't ping localhost

Brendan J Simon wrote:

> Andre Berger wrote:
>
> > Finally I figured out it wasn't fetchmail's fault; it wasn't able to
> > connect to localhost. The potato installer hadn't installed
> > /etc/init.d/network (or started /etc/init.d/networking, don't know
> > about that). I made /etc/init.d/network as follows (executable):
> >
> > #! /bin/sh
> > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> >
> > et voila, fetchmail works. What gave me the idea was that I couldn't
> > ping localhost.
>
> I've been having trouble with my G4 starting up slowly.  I get messages like
>     portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
>     neighbour table overflow
>
> I can not ping my localhost either but I can ping other machines on the
> network.  I will try your solution of making /etc/init.d/network executable.
> Note that I do not have these problems on my G3 powerbook.  I have just
> installed this recently but I'm sure it was from the same base2_2.tgz file.

After reading some of the startup scripts I notice that /etc/init.d/network is
obsolete for Debian 2.2 (or is that 2.2 kernels ?).
The /etc/network/interfaces file has the loopback device commented out.  Just
uncomment the line "iface lo inet loopback" and everything should be fine.
I'm not sure if this should be the default or not.  It may depend on whether one
is doing a fresh install or an upgrade.  Though I did fresh installs on my G4
and my G3 and they behave differently.  Weird.

Brendan Simon.