Re: Xpmac.rev10

"Todd M. Shrider" wrote:

> Let ask a better question. I've seen reference that say Xpmac requires
> special kernel options, can someone comment on this? Also, Xfree86Fbdev

You need to enable "Backwards Compatible framebuffer for Xpmac" (or something to
that effect) to let Xpmac work.

> stuff that I get from the debian network install seems VERY slow, as if
> there is no accelleration at all. What's the status on performance in this
> arena? Thanks!

Are you booting w/ "No Video Driver" enabled?  The OF driver is pretty slow, it
also has some weird quirks (can't change resolutions, no dpms,
etc)--understandable as it has to work with basically every ppc out there.

If you are using XFree <4, then the fbdev is probably slower than Xpmac for a
relatively recent ATI card.  The newer XFree, 4, is, I find, faster than Xpmac.

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
"Apparently if you play the Windows NT CD backwards you hear satanic messages"
"You think that's bad, if you play it forwards it installs Windows NT!"