Re: Adding options to Xserver

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 11:01:18PM -0700, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I've just switched from LinuxPPC to Debian, and I'm trying to get my setup
> back to the way I like it.  I'm using Xpmac.rev9 (since rev10 has broken
> accelleration on the CT65550) and I put the name of Xserver in
> /etc/X11/Xserver, and it starts from gdm fine.
>
> However, I can't add options (like --middlekey or --rightkey) to the
> command line in Xserver.  Should I write a wrapper script to invoke Xpmac
> with the right options, or is there a more "debianesque" way to pass
> options to the Xserver?

/etc/X11/Xserver really just specifies who gets run when /usr/X11R6/bin/X
is executed (instead of making X a symlink and requiring each server to be
suid root).  It is the responsibility of some other program to run the X
server, and determine its arguments.

Are you running xdm, or gdm (there may be a large footprint on the screen?)

If you are running gdm, the file /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf has a section near
the bottom called [servers].  You should find a line like this:

0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7

feel free to change this to

0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7 --middlekey xxx --rightkey xxx

xdm, likewise, also has a configuration option that runs the server.  I
don't have a machine handy to look at, but I think the file is Xservers.

David Brown