Re: Debian on PowerMAC G4

Markus Geimer wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've tried to install Debian GNU/Linux ("frozen") on an Apple PowerMAC
> G4-450 ("Sawtooth") using BootX 1.2b3 and a special, precompiled kernel
> (2.2.14) from Benjamin Herrenschmidt but encountered the following
> problem:
>
> The Linux kernel boots, loads the ramdisk image and starts the system
> installation. The I get the message "Your PowerPC architecture is not
> supported yet." Pressing return reboots the machine.

The Debian boot disks for macppc are quite out of date - they don't recognize
the G4 as a usable architecture. This problem has been noted and is being worked
on currently, though I don't know its current status.

> The LinuxPPC distribution runs fine using the same kernel image, but I
> would prefer Debian since I'm using it on an Intel plattform for a few
> years now and for me it's the best Linux distribution available. Is it
> possible to modify the installation disks so that it is possible to
> install Debian on G4's? Please tell me if and how I can help you, but I
> don't have the slightest notion of creating ramdisk images :-(

Modifying the instalation disks is not necessary. It is possible to use the
LinuxPPC install disks to install Debian instead - one URL describing this
process on an iMac (which should still be relatively applicable in your case) is

http://www.debian.org/~wmono/powerpc/

As he notes, this process works best if you can get the base distribution onto
HFS media (I'll guess that you have a Zip drive handy). Otherwise, you may have
to install LinuxPPC first, and then Debian on top of it.

> Thanks
>     Markus Geimer

Hope this helps.

Jason