Re: VERY preliminary boot floppies available for testing

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 02:37:40AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> Success reports welcomed but not expected.  Failure reports only if they are
> particularly entertaining.  Expect more in the days to come.

I tried installing this, along with the root.bin from:
  http://web.espy.org/ftp/debian/ramdisk.image.gz,
which was mentioned in some other message I now can't find.

Well ... I got what you'd call a -partial- success.  By skipping 'install
kernel and modules', which hung the installer if i used any means but
floppy (ugh...and I have random system hangs when using floppies for
anything ...) I pretty much got everything else installed fine.

However, when I went to try the first boot, at some time very early in the
boot process (it even happened with 'single') the machine would loop
endlessly printing what looked like 2 or 3 lines of errors from kmod...
one might have been the 'waitpid' thing in the source, it had some
parentheses and numbers and commas... unfortunately it was scrolling too
fast to read.

I thought this was odd given that the rootdisk booted nicely.

Also: the modules in your directory were 2.2.14, while the kernel is
2.2.15pre3?  So installing modules to see if that would help ... wouldn't.
Or so I assume?

But, it's a lot closer ...

--
James Deikun, Techie(tm), CSI Multimedia
The opinions expressed &c.