Re: yaboot etc

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

>----------
>On 25/1/2000 Sergio Brandano wrote:
>
>>  Hi, I have a little question on yaboot
>>  http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/test.html
>>
>>- Is it the only way to boot kernel 2.2.14+  ?
>
>I do not think so, but it is the most reliable on the colored macs
>(BlueG3s, all G4s, iMacs etc known as "Newworld" macs) I have
>personally have had alot of trouble booting recent kernels with bootx
>on my Blue and White G3, but I have had more problems with BootX then
>most...

BootX is still supported by the kernel, but Ethan is right about the fact
that yaboot in more reliable on the machines it supports.

>>- As I am still booting 2.2.13 with BootX on my Lombard, is there any
>>   chance to boot 2.2.14+ with BootX?
>
>I don't see why not... Ben?
>one thing about the Lombard, I do not know for sure if it has a
>Newworld ROM or the old style 4MB MacOS hardware ROM.  I am pretty
>sure yaboot will only work on Newworld macs.

Lombard is a newworld mac. BootX works, yaboot too, but yaboot is more
reliable. Either my precompiled kernel or Paul's rsync kernel should work
fine on the Lombard with both BootX and yaboot (Paul recently merged the
necessary kernel changes for yaboot support).

Ethan description is correct, I will just add that as soon as Apple has
released the source for the new Darwin kernel and it's bootloader, I'll
try to merge things so that Apple's bootloader can boot the Linux kernel.
The idea is whatever graphical boot tool they make will be useable to
boot Linux too.