Re: Announcing: XFree86 Xserver accelerated for Rage 128 from XFree86 3.9.17

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca said:
> > Announcing: XFree86 r128 Xserver (version 1) from the pre-XFree4.0
> > (based on xfree86 version 3.9.17) distribution from the XFree86 org.
>
> > This Xserver has full Rage 128 acceleration and supports both hardware
> > and software cursors.  In x11perf testing, this Xserver beats Xpmac
> > (currently revision 8) on most performance measures (but not all).
>
> Wohoo! mozilla last night (I have a working build!) Xfree 3.9 today!
> Sorry bout the excitability - the number of Linux-not-PPC packages was
> beginning to concern me, but they're getting fixed in droves.
>
> Presumably, then, this works only on Rage 128? I've still got a Rage II+ :-*.
> Or is it just not accelerated much (or at all) then? I'm probably not going to
> switch (unless you want a tested with an older machine, Beige G3 Rev1
> Desktop), but I'm curious about the support for somewhat older video cards.

We just need someone to make the Mach64 stuff in 3.9.x work with atyfb as
well... Kevin proved that such things can be done :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org

							    -- Linus Torvalds