Re: Success installing Xpmac!

Renaud Dreyer wrote:

>    I finally managed to make the Rage128 accelerated Xpmac X server work
> under Debian PowerPC on my PowerMac 7300 with a Rage Orion card. It
> turns out that I'd forgotten to download the 75dpi fonts. The font
> path is hardcoded in Xpmac and the Misc, Speedo, Type1, 75dpi and 100dpi
> ALL need to be installed for the server to start. I thought I didn't need
> the 75dpi because I have a 19" display but...

You can specify any font path you want for a default by using the -fp
flag... such as:

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac -fp "unix/:-1"  # Use an font server like xfs (port
-1) or xfstt (port 7101)
or
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/Type1/

Of course you'll want it to still point to the (default) fixed font,
otherwise it won't work. You can tell Xpmac what font you want to call
the default font by the -dc <fontname> flag. Another solution is just to
use the default font path, then add others, after X has started (most
likely using the ~/.Xclients file) by just doing a

xset +fp /path/to/more/fonts # Add fonts to font path
xset fp rehash #load/reload font information, and make added fonts
available to all applications to be started.

>    So this is a solution for people who need an Xserver working right off
> the install on their machine, without having to play with X86Config first.

That is one benefit. It's most useful feature is it is accelerated for
Mach64/Rage 128/Twin Turbo 128/C&T 6555 (for Powerbooks) running with no
video driver checked aka video=ofonly (which is useful on Macs with
weird video).

Xpmac --help lists several options that show how flexible Xpmac is,
although some don't work yet (like dpms).

Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net | "*yawn* Is it morning yet?"