Announcing: XFree86 Xserver accelerated for Rage 128 from XFree86 3.9.17

Hi,

Announcing: XFree86 r128 Xserver (version 1) from the pre-XFree4.0
(based on xfree86 version 3.9.17) distribution from the XFree86 org.

This Xserver has full Rage 128 acceleration and supports both hardware
and software cursors.  In x11perf testing, this Xserver beats Xpmac
(currently revision 8) on most performance measures (but not all).

It has been modified by me (with help, patches, advice, and pushing from
Anthony Tong, Kostas Gewrgiou, Ben Herrenschmidt, and Geert Uytterhoeven) to
add framebuffer support so that it will run under Linux on PPC systems.

Note:  You must upgrade to at least kernel that has been built with a
recent version of Anthony Tong's aty128fb kernel driver.
(See http://www.linuxppc.org/blueg3 for useful info)

THIS IS A BETA RELEASE!  Please only bother to try this upgrade if
you are not afraid of playing around with XF86Config files and want
to experiment on the bleeding edge with the Xserver that will eventually
replace both Xpmac and XF68_FBDev.

The URL is:  http://khendricks.ivey.uwo.ca/xf3917_r128/

Installation
------------

cd /usr/X11R6
tar -zxvf xf3917_r128.rev1.tar.gz

cp XF86Config.r128.xf4 /etc/X11/
cd /etc/X11
cp XF86Config XF86Config.prev
cp XF86Config.r128.xf4 XF86Config
rm X
ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 X

***Please note***
The format for XF86Config has changed for XFree4.0  I have
included a simple XF86Config that works on my B+W G3 set to
1024x768, 32bpp with my Apple Studio 17 Display booted with
BootX with kernel args with aty128fb, vmode set to 17, and
cmode set to 32.

You should try that resolution first.  If it works, you can
begin to play around to getother resolutions and depths.

Once you are done editing XF86Config, simply type:

startx

That should do it.

Bug Reports
-----------
Since this is version 1 of this Xserver, I would appreciate
any feedback or bug reports to iron out any remaining nits that may
happen.

Please send all bug reports to:

khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca

Source Code
If you are interested in building your own version,
all of the patches to the latest XFree86 3.9.17 source are
included in xf3917_r128.rev1.patch.gz

Thanks,

Kevin