Re: Installing Debian over DHCP

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Renaud Dreyer wrote:

> > From: "der.hans" <deb-ppc@LuftHans.com>

> > > unless you are installing the base system from over NFS you don't
> > > need any network access in dbootstrap, I do not know if dhcp is in
> > > the base system or not, if not (which would be somewhat broken given
> > > the pervasiveness of this nasty dhcp `thing') you would have to just
> > > go find the deb package and install it manually then you would have
> >
> > This issue just came across debian-devel today. Apparently the stock
> > potato kernel won't work for dhclient (dhcp-client), but one can use
> > dhcpcd.
> >
> > Another option is to get a lease with another box, disconnect that box
> > from the net, boot the ppc box, install using the info from the lease,
> > then install dhcp client and renegotiate the lease.
> >
> > It's a pain and it would be better to have dhcp available at install, but
> > that won't be making it into potato...
>
> Would it work the following way:
>
> 1) Get a lease from the Mac OS/HFS part of his machine
> 2) Bootstrap into
> the installer from that HFS partition, which should take the machine off
> the net
> 3) Install using the info from the lease, as if he had static IP
> 4)Install DHCP and then renegociate the lease?

Essentially this looks like what I suggested except that you're using
another os on the original box as the other box. Same thing :).

This is only needed if you're installing via the network. If your box is
going to continue to be dual boot you can copy base and dhcp packages to
it, then load from there during install provided the install package can
understand it's fs.

If you're going to blow away the other os, but can clean up the hard drive
to have your swap partition as well as your other os, you could copy the
files to the intended swap partition, then install from it leaving out a
swap partition during install :). If you've got more than 24MB of RAM you
shouldn't need swap at the beginning. Once the files from the small
partition are installed, fdisk and make it a swap partition, then set it
up to use by the new debian system.

ciao,

der.hans

--