Re: Kernel 2.2.14

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000, Kevin Puetz <puetzk@iastate.edu> wrote:

>OK, thanks. I was reluctant to make that guess on my own...
>
>Well, maybe with this I can build a working kernel again (so that I can
debug
>why the serial port on my G3/233DT rev1). It will send but not recieve - at
>least, it never gets any data - no errors. strange...

You can try, at first, to edit macserial.c and change

#define SUPPORT_SERIAL_DMA

#undef SUPPORT_SERIAL_DMA

And see if it fixes it. I've heard about some HW dma bugs on the G3
serial port, so this may be the cause of the problem.

If it's the case, there are a couple of registers of the serial chip that
may be worth playing with (like the recovery time register).

Also, it may be interesting to test booting MacOS, using the serial port
(just open it/close it with Remote Access if you don't have a terminal
app), and then, without rebooting, use BootX to get into linux. Then see
if it changes something.