Re: Kernel 2.2.14

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000, Hugh Caley <hughc@babcockbrown.com> wrote:

>Hi, Ben.  I don't seen an entry in System.map that contains both
"machine" and
>"check".  There are a whole bunch of "check"'s, however.

Machine check is a standard ppc exception that usually happens when
trying to use non-existing hardware. That's why I beleive one of your
init scripts is causing serial.o to be insmod'ed incorrectly. (This just
happened to me todday with debian/ppc on a 8500 and a 2.2.14 kernel).

To find out where the error actually happened, look at the "NIP" field of
the error, and lookup this address in System.map to find out which
routine is related.