Re: Kernel 2.2.14

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000, Sergio Brandano <sb@dcs.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:

> I tried Paul's rsync tree, but still it does not work. The USB
> section does not compile due to two missing files, and the Xpmac
> option is still needed (if you disable it, the kernel does not
> compile). By leaving the Xpmac option selected, and desecting the USB
> one, the kernel compiles, but it crashes the machine at boot time.
> I remind I am using a Lombard-400.
>
> Do I have to get stuck with 2.2.13 ?

There's a small error in Paul's current tree that prevents it from
compiling USB:

In drivers/usb/ohci.c, change

#include <linux/adb.h>
#include <linux/pmu.h>

#include <asm/adb.h>
#include <asm/pmu.h>

I don't see why you Lombard would crash, I think Paul actually owns a
Lombard. What you can eventually test is to use my ibook.11 kernel (or
just the patches so you can apply them on top of your current Paul tree
copy) and use yaboot instead of BootX. It's a lot more reliable way of
booting on newworld machines. Eventually use Ethan ybin tool to setup a
yaboot boostrap.

Also, check your config options. Some config options like the PC-style
(dumb) serial ports, parallel ports or RTC will definitely cause problems
with the macs. I run debian on one of my servers, and upgrading to 2.2.14
caused it to crash until I removed the script that tries to configure
serial ports at boot. This script does an insmod of the dumb serial port
driver which will definitely crash any Mac out there. I also removed the
parport.o module which seems to be compiled by default with Paul's
default config.
(It's still useful to have this driver in a module since it's user, with
appropriate parameters, to driver some PCMCIA modem cards).

Once you have checked those, 2.2.14 should work like a charm.