Re: Continuing Annoyances...

--- "C.M. Connelly" <c@eskimo.com> wrote:

>    When my machine starts up, the text is red on a black screen.
>    We run fbset from a script in /etc/rc.boot to correct this
>    problem.  The text turns to white on black (hooray), but the
>    cursor is invisible.

This sounds like a framebuffer device (fbdev) problem. Which one are you
using?

>    If I quit gdm (and the X server) and run the same fbset command
>    line from the /etc/rc.boot/0fbdev script by hand, then restart
>    gdm, I can sometimes get X to come up in the right resolution
>    (sometimes I need to run fbset by hand while X is running, then
>    quit and restart gdm).

As your fbdev seems to support mode changes, you can use custom modes in your
XF86Config. fbset -x gives you a mode definition which you can insert
directly  into that file.

>    I have gpm running on my system, as installed from the base
>    install (I assume) and with the arguments it came with
>
>       device=/dev/adbmouse
>       responsiveness=
>       type=ms
>       append="-l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""
>
>    It appears to have no effect in console applications that seem
>    like they might use its features, however.

First, as Geert has pointed out, the type should probably be busmouse.
Second, gpm uses the cursor as the mouse pointer. Might be running, but as
the cursor is invisible...

Michel

=====
"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free"
 -- Linus Torvalds

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
 -- Windows 95 BSOD