Re: Debian Linux/PPC on G4.

Brendan J Simon wrote:
I am in the process of buying a PowerMac to be used as a
compile/development server in our company.  Everyone uses MSWin here but
I have convinced the boss to purchase a PowerPC machine to run linux so
that we can develop code for a powerpc embedded system.

I was going to go for a G3 DVD Special Edition but I think that a G4
machine is more suitable.  Out of the 3 Linux/PPC distributions
(YellowDog, LinuxPPC and Debian), I would prefer to run Debian.  Mainly
because I would like to also run Debian on my Intel machines and it
would be easier to maintain them all if they were in sync (ie. all
running the same distribution and version.  ie. potato) as apposed to
running RedHat on my Intel machines and YellowDog or LinuxPPC on my
powerpc machines.  Having said that, people on various mailing lists say
that both LinuxPPC is the easiest to install, closely followed by
YellowDog and Debian bringing up the rear.  I don't mind put some extra
work during installation for Debian as it is supposed to have a great
package management facility (better that redhat rpms ?).

Yes, LinuxPPC is easiest to install, but i think Debian is better to use !
I'm running Debian on a G4/350, it's fine and very more efficient than a Pentium.
How stable is the Debian Linux/PPC port ?
I think the port is very stable (may be better than on i386 !).
I have just small reproach for Debian/Potato on PPC :
    - not using the glibc 2.1.3 (which is on LinuxPPC),
    - not install last version of program (ex: Netscape 4.7),
    - not contain JDK1.X,
    - and finally not contain Xpmac (Xpmac is bas but is useful)

When is Potato actually going to be released ?
Yes, when ?
Would it be better to go for a G3 DVD Special Edition or a G4 server ?
I have a G4 and a PowerBook G3. G4 is very more efficient and i think
G3 is no more selling. Be carefull with motherboard of G4 new version can
boot Linux but since few days.
I prefer G4 if the OS is stable and configuring things like X and
networking isn't too painful.
Network and X and otherthing is exactly easy and hardy to configure than
Potato for i386.
Do I need MacOS installed.  I will probably install it at first.  I may
blow it away at a later stage if it is not needed.  How much partition
space should I reserve for a reasonable (not too bloated) MacOS
installation ?
Yes you need macOS to boot, but 250Mo could be enough.
RQ : Linux does not have DVD player, you must use MacOS for that !

Jean-Philippe

Jean-Philippe FASSINO  Tel :  04 76 76 45 52
CNET : DTL/ASR         mailto:jeanphilippe.fassino@cnet.francetelecom.fr