Re: Debian-on-iBook mini-HOWTO?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 06:41:51PM +0100, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I ordered a new iBook (366Mhz/128MB Indigo) specifically to run Linux. It seems to
> me that it doesn't have more problems than your typical Intel laptop.

macs never have winmodems ;-)

> What I'm looking for is some kind of HOWTO for installing potato-r2 on this machine.
> (Will it boot from CD?) All the information I found on the web was LinuxPPC or YDL
> specific.

i don't know of that much which is special from a regular install
except for partitioning and bootstrap.  see my site for help on using
the mac partitioner and partitioning doc which explains the proper way
to partition your disk depending on whether you wish to dual boot or
not.  http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/  look at the yaboot-faq as
well.  (you need a special bootstrap partition, if you don't create it
properly you will have problems)

also read the debian install instructions, pay particular attention to
the section on making the system bootable, the normal `make disk
bootable' will *not* work on the ibook or any other newworld mac so
pay attention there.

the potato r2 CDs will (well almost certainly) be bootable.

> I'm comfortable with installing on Intel boxes, but I haven't ever used a Mac... is

the install process is pretty much the same as in intel box,
configuration of some things is different and the bootloader is
different.

> it worth keeping the MacOS?

no ;-)

and if you don't keep macos you get to have a much cleaner and nicer
looking partition table.  (macos requires about 9 bogus `driver' partitions)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/