Re: Installing on PowerBook 5300cs

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 04:20:04AM +0300, Kostya wrote:
> I'm installing Debian potato on PowerBook 5300cs and i can't
> boot from the rescue floppy - the system asks the floppy
> drive, but then ejects the floppy.
>
> Firstly i formated the disk (on FreeBSD 3.4):
> # fdformat /dev/rfd0a
>
> Then i wrote rescue.bin to the floppy with standart string:
> # dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync ; sync

rescue.bin is not bootable on any mac.  the only debian bootfloppies
that actually boot macs are hfs-boot.img (or something like that)
however, that will not work on your machine as its nubus and thus does
not run monolithic linux (nubus support has been worked on and there
may now be an experimental kernel to try, but debian has no boot
floppies using it)

> I know that NetBSD can't be installed on PowerBook 5300
> series, because it [Mac] lacks 'Open Firmware', but i didn't
> find such a warning in installing-Debian instruction.

correct, Debian does not currently support nubus based macs such as
the PowerBook 5300.   i have heard its possible to use a mklinux
kernel with debian userland but im not sure how difficult that is to
pull off.

you might check into the nubus linux project too see where its at.
you would have to build your own boot floppies for that i suspect.

does anyone know if miboot would work on a nubus mac with a nubus
capable linux kernel? (not mklinux)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/