Install hangs on G4?

Apologies is this has been covered before.

I am trying to install Potato on a G4/400 from CD.  The machine boots
from the CD just fine, but the installer consistently hangs during
network configuration.  After I enter in name server addresses, it
clears the screen and then sits there forever.  If I try skipping name
servers, the same thing happens.

I have tried installing on both an ATA and a SCSI drive (hanging off
an ATTO U2LD PCI/SCSI card).  Same thing either way.

Has anybody seen this problem before, or can anybody suggest a way to
debug it?

TIA.

-Jon