Color under X 4.0.1 on PowerMac 8600

I just installed Debian PPC on a 8600 the other night.  I started with
the potatoe CD, and then upgraded to woody so it matches my x86 box.
Since this box is an old world mac, I'm using BootX and I have not
checked the use no video driver box.  I also have not passed any
command line options.  The kernel is still the stock 2.2.17* one that
was originally installed.

Now, onto the problem.  I have the frame buffer set to 1024x768 at
a depth of 16.  I have X configured similarly.  Whenever I launch X,
the colors are off.  There is almost always one dominate color that
the display is in.  Right now (after messing with fbset a bit) it's
displaying mostly in a shade of red.  There is no problem with the
color on the console though.  Also, the computer regularly runs in
MacOS in at least 1024x768x16 without any problems so I know it
can run there properly.

The video driver is the one that came on board of this box.  I don't
know Mac hardware that well, but I seen in the dmesg log that
the display seems to be /chaos/control and cat /proc/fb returns
'0 control'.

Any suggetions would be most helpful.

I am attempting to upgrade the kernel to 2.4.0-test10/12 with no
success with the stock sources, so I'm on my way to track down
the PPC specific port pages and see if that frame buffer acts
slightly different at all on this hardware.

Josh