Debian Installation on a power MAC 7500 -- summary.

About the installation of a 7500, it' relativelly easy, when you know the
different trouble. You normally should follow the installation step, and
just at the end, change some details...

First you will boot with diskette, and create 3 partitions : one for the
apple need, one for swap, named swap, on for linux, named linux.

Then you install the base OS. I always had installed by network, I don't
know how it works with CDROM.

Then you should rewrite a part of the NVRAM : use this instructions :
in the 2nd screen (ALT+F2), create a console, and type the commands
$ chroot /target                   => will change the root partition of the
OS on the disk, and on the new OS yet installed,
$ nvsetenv boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:0   => set the boot device on the disk
$ nvsetenv boot-file scsi-int/sd@0:3:/vmlinuz      => set the kernel.
Careful, you must use the kernel I will send to you...
$ nvsetenv auto-boot? false              => will wait for booting, in the
NVRAM environnement
$ nvsetenv input-device kbd              => set the input device in the
previous step
$ nvsetenv output-device /chaos/control/      => Set the display on the
screen. By default, it's serial line, and not simply usable.

After, you must set the kernel give in this mail, at the place of this give
by Debian. 2.2.16 official kernel does not work with 7500, but 2.2.15 works
!!! Carefull, this kernel is not the best (security trouble), but I don't
have any other solution...

After switch in the installation tool, and make linux boot directly from
harddisk. Just before, take a look on the file /etc/quik.conf in the second
console. This file must point to the new kernel. Carefull to the name of
this kernel and his partition...

After, go to the last step in the first concole, and reboot.

Normally, the boot will stop in the nvram, and wait. Sometimes (Apple
OpenBios is full buggy...), this don't work -> try many times (with power
off eventually). The mac should boot with screen plugged on the mac, and
with keybaord usable. If it's work, the type "boot", and the new installed
Linux will normally boot.

If something goes wrong, the message on the console is comprehensible (bad
name for the kernel, or bad partition for boot...), just reboot with
diskette of installation and change some parameter with the nvsetenv
command, or with quik. You can do this again if screen or keyboard doesn't
work.

I hope that this will work, if you get some trouble, contact me. FYI, I
have 5 or 6 power Mac 7500 runnning with this solutions, and running well.
So...

Regards,

Benoit MARCHAL

PS : I send this mail to the mailling list in view to publish this
solution...

PS 2 : It's impossible to send the kernel and other file to you directly. I
will put them on a public FTP :

computer : dorado.crpht.lu
user anonymous
pass : your email adress,
directory boot-7500
and all files are in this directory.

___
            Benoit MARCHAL
            Ingenieur Systemes et Reseaux - CNS - CRPHT
            Tel : +352 42 59 91 211
            E-mail : benoit.marchal@crpht.lu