Re: X keyboard

Quoting steven alyari <salyari@midway.uchicago.edu>:

> Olof,
>
> copy /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/macintosh to blah/macintosh.fr
>
> open mac*.fr and change macintosh/us(extended) to macintosh/fr(extended)
>
> you'll notice an entire heirarchy for this stuff in /etc/X11/xkb
>
> yours,
> steven alyari

> Hello,
>
> another question about X :
>
> In my XF86Config file, I have (Keyboard section) :
>
> 	XkbKeymap "xfree86(fr_CH)"
>
> for the swiss-french keyboard. But under X, the keyboard is unusable.
> It's not an US or UK keyboard but in place of 'f', I have '2', for
> exemple !
>
> Must I specifie at any place what I have a Macintosh keyboard ?

Yes and no. Check http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html

What you can do is:
1) have a telnet/ssh/whatever connection to the box you want to modify (so that
if you screw up your kbd config, you can at least reload a working keymap and/or
kill XFree)
2) "echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes" This will make
the kernel translate your ADB keycodes (the RAW ones sent by the keyboard) to
Linux keycodes (in fact AT keycodes...)
3) Load a x86 keymap corresponding the language of your keyboard (using
loadkeys). Keymaps should be in /usr/share/keymaps
Note: 2) and 3) should be done in one go, using a script or separating the
commands by a ";", make sure you know what you're doing, and reread 1) if
unsure.
4) At this point you should have a working keyboard under the console
5) modify your XF86Config to use a "normal" keymap, for example the fr_CH you
were using.
6) Launch XFree86 and it should work
7) put 2) in your /etc/rc.local, and change the default keymap to the one you
were using in 3) (using kbdconfig iirc), test if it works by rebooting (just to
make sure)

Hope this helps

PS: Otherwise you could simply have XFree load a macintosh keymap, like
"macintosh/us", but i don't think there is any fr_CH keymap for macintosh...

/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net