Re: XFree86 on a Beige G3

Craige McWhirter wrote:

> Hardware:
>
> Apple Beige G3 - 100% bog standard. (Do you need more?)

ATI Mach64 based graphics I assume?

> Since I wrote the original email xf4 has been updated, so I apt-got it,
> d/l'd it and now I get a different error so I've included both the new log,
> new error (which is only written to screen) and my current config.
>
> Btw, which is supposed to be better fbdev or ati?

ati, which is the accelerated driver for ATI hardware. Beware that it probably
only works if you use atyfb and Option "USeFBDev".

fbdev is the generic driver for framebuffer devices without acceleration.

> ========== Begin Error Message ==========
>
> ioctl FBIOPUTCMAP: Function not implemented
>
> ========== End Error Message ==========
>
> Repeat the error message ad infinitum until X falls over.

I guess the error message is from the kernel, specifically OFfb.

> Section "Module"
>         Load    "ddc"
>         Load    "GLcore"
>         Load    "dbe"
>         Load    "dri"
>         Load    "extmod"
>         Load    "glx"
>         Load    "pex5"
>         Load    "record"
>         Load    "xie"
>         Load    "bitmap"
>         Load    "freetype"
>         Load    "speedo"
>         Load    "type1"
>         Load    "vbe"
>         Load    "int10"
> EndSection

Wow, looks like you try to load all available modules :)

ddc, GLcore, bitmap, vbe and int10 shouldn't (need to) be loaded explicitly or
aren't needed. But that's just a side note, not your problem.

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Generic Graphics Device"
>         Driver "fbdev"
> EndSection

I think you are lucky it doesn't lock hard on you... you need to specify the
bus ID of the graphics chip, e.g.

    BusID "PCI:0:16:0"

Check /proc/pci for the real value. (Looking at the log it should be 0:18:0
for you).

> (II) FBDev(0): Hardware: OFfb ATY,mach64 (vidmem: 1536k)
> (==) FBDev(0): Option ShadowFB is on
> (II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against framebuffer device...
> (II) FBDev(0):  mode "1024x768" test failed
> (II) FBDev(0):  mode "800x600" ok
> (II) FBDev(0):  mode "640x480" ok
> (II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against monitor...
> (--) FBDev(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
> (**) FBDev(0): Default mode "800x600": 36.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 35.2
> kHz, 56.2 Hz
> (**) FBDev(0): Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 31.5
> kHz, 60.0 Hz

Ah. With OFfb, you can only use the default mode from console, so you have to
use an empty Modes line in the Display Subsection or none at all.

The better solution would of course be to use atyfb and eventually the ati
driver, have you tried any of that?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project