Re: ieee1394 *and* new input layer in one kernel

>Hey,
>
>So I've been happily running 2.2.x for quite some time. I shifted over
>to using my USB devices under the new input layer and have been
>extremely pleased.
>
>Just recently, I swamped my internal hardrive on my G3 pismo while
>building a debug version of OpenOffice, and bought a Maxtor external
>firewire drive to supplement my internal disk.
>
>So now I need a kernel that can do both. I first tried using the
>ieee1394 patch for 2.2.17, which didn't compile, but needed some
>pretty minor adjustments (it gets undefined symbols if compiled with
>SMP support) to get running. However, it doesn't work. It finds my
>controller, and my drive, but as soon as it tries a read() it
>hangs. Killing the wedged process crashes the kernel. Not good.
>
>So I grabbed 2.4.0-test11 off rsynch from linuxcare. It built the
>ieee1394 with no trouble, but when I rebooted, I didn't have a
>keyboard or a mouse -- no new input layer support, and all my input
>device files in /dev have been switched over.

The input layer is part of 2.4, you probably didn't enable it your kernel
config. Unlike 2.2, the input layer setup in 2.4 has it's own menu in the
main config. Make sure it's enabled, along with the keyboard & mouse drivers.
If your machine has ADB, also enable the ADB HID in the macintosh drivers.

Ben.