Re: install debian on a G3 (beige)

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 10:18:57AM +0100, Gwenaël Piaser wrote:
> I want to install a debian on a Power Mag G3 (old version, beige)
>
> (I've already install a debian on a PC without problem)

PowerMacs are much more annoying to boot then PCs in many ways.

> I've followed all the instructions for the installation handbook.

good

> First part of the installation works well (set up keyboard, partition, set
> up the clock, ect..)
>
> But I can't reboot the computer and finish the installation.

i assume you ran `make bootable from the hard disk' this will make the
disk bootable, but it neglects to reconfigure OpenFirmware so it will
actually try and boot from the disk (intead of booting the MacOSROM
which specifically looks for MacOS)

you need to do that yourself, this will be easier on the next version
of the boot floppies which have a utility to find the OpenFirmware
device path to your disk.

you might still be able to get a test version of the new boot floppies
from:

http://www.them.org/~drow/debian/boot

for those you would run from a shell:

nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sda)0"

where /dev/sda is the disk you installed onto.

also run:

nvsetenv output-device screen
nvsetenv input-device keyboard (or possibly kbd)

that should get you a quik prompt at the next boot.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/