Re: Major libc6 problems (with libc6 2.1.97-1 and friends)

> [*] One extremely annoying discovery was that the libc6 packages
>     *must be built as root*.  Leaving aside the question of *why*
>     the packages can't be built with fakeroot (or as an ordinary
>     user, even) -- the Red Hat RPMs do not require you to be root --
>     it would have been really nice if the package had checked
>     for root *first*, rather than running for 4.5 hours and only
>     then realizing it couldn't finish.

No, it does not need root to be *built*. Notice that debian packages
require root in order to run the binary target of the build process (the
part where it installs things and builds the .deb's). This is normal, and
every package requires it.

However, we have fakeroot, which allows us to not have a real root access
in order to build packages. Problem is, fakeroot preloads a library to
"fake" things. This is bad when working with building a system lib such as
glibc. It has caused many bugs before, which is why I explicitly forced
the glibc to make sure it was using real root, and not fakeroot.

This wont change, and the "4 hours later" problem is a result of the
Debian build process, not something specific to glibc.