Re: using scp

At 10:21 PM -0900 11/17/00, Ethan Benson wrote:
ssh does not include /usr/local/bin in the PATH, the only reason you
get it in a normal login is because /etc/profile is sourced on a
normal login, but not for non-interactive sessions such as scp.

i put the PATH statement from my .profile into .ssh/environment and it started working. dumb user error. Thanks for the the help.

i would recommend installing the ssh package from woody on potato, or
if the dependencies drag too much woody in, get the woody sources and
compile a .deb for potato.

i built from sources awhile ago (pretty much just to see if i could) but your point made me check the version i'm actually running. 2.1.1p4. pretty old and maybe with security holes (i remember seeing some security notes about ssh but don't remember exactly what versions). I'm pointing my apt at woody now and taking a look at what version is in there (OpenSSH has 2.3.0p1 available, if woody's is older i may get their version and build from source again. serious case of latest-version-itis 8-)

(with deb-src pointed at woody)
apt-get -b source ssh

i hope you don't have both openssh1 and openssh2 installed at the same
time...

nope.  just one ssh/sshd on my whole system.  no telnet/telnetd either.

Thanks again for the help.