using scp

i'm trying to use scp between my debian 2.2r1 powerpc firewall (PowerMac 7200) and my iBook running Mac OS X Public Beta.

ssh works fine. I have it configured for DSA authentication, no password authentication. authorized_keys2 is setup correctly and i can get in.

when i execute scp (from the OS X side) i do:
scp filename root@powerpc:filename

after entering my passphrase for my DSA key I get the error:
bash: scp: command not found

since OS X uses tcsh i'm assuming the bash error is from the debian side. When i ssh in directly the Path is set correctly to find scp (it's in /usr/local/bin).

I don't know if this is a config problem (do I need to create a subsystem for scp in sshd_config?) or just dumb user error.

any help appreciated.

kevin