Problems installing Dedian only system

Hello

I have successfully install Debian Power PC GNU/Linux 2.2 rev 0 non US on to a Power Mac 2700/75 (system outline below) using BootX to boot Linux from a second hard disk with a Linux fs on it. But BootX is of course working from within the Mac OS and my end goal is to run the 2700/75 as a Debian only system.

All my attempt to make the 2700/75 a Debian stand alone system fails at the “The Moment of Truth” reboot of the system. I have tried rebooting both from the hard disk and from a miBoot v1.0a3 description as follows:

Hard disk boot:
Screen goes blank and the 2700/75 seems to hang.

miBoot v1.0a3 floppy boot:
This method stops at a “Rebooting in 180 seconds.. “ with the following error message

Warning: unable to open init console.
Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I have had this problem before with BootX when I did not install the ramdisk.image.gz. I have assumed that with a Debian only installation this problem is caused by something new.

The Debian install documentation indicates that I may have to troubleshoot boot problems by adding special boot arguments to the system but it seems unclear as to how this is to be done.

I would be very grateful if any one could give me a suggestion as to what to do next.

Look forward to receiving any helpful pointers.

James

System Outline:
Power Mac 7200/75
CD-ROM
32MB RAM
External L2 cache 512K
SCSI ID = 4 Hard Drive 520MB
Partition scheme - 20MB BOOT (unused at reboot), 64MB SWAP, 436MB HOME (unused at reboot)
SCSI ID = 6 Hard Drive 1.19GB
Partition scheme - one partition 1.19GB “/”

James Aitken
W: +44 (0) 20 8547 0470
H: +44 (0) 1322 404582
M: +44 (0) 7768 057306
E: james@soon.co.uk

Your email address says a lot about you.
Express yourself @ another.com
http://another.com/jump.jsp?destDesc=another.com/login.jsp?sig=393