package architecture mismatch... what now?

I have the ibook running linux, modulo a few glitches
with ppp and the like... I'm able to connect, but only
once per boot. There's a new ppp available, but running
apt-get -f dist-upgrade isn't very helpful. I get the
following error message:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.7.1.1_powerpc.deb\
    (--unpack):
package architecture (powerpc) does not match system (powerpc-linux-gnu)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.7.1.1_powerpc.deb

Suggestions welcome.

My apologies if this has already been covered.

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net