custom-kernel boot problems on G4 (video related)

Hi,

I'm trying to get a custom-compiled kernel for a latest-model G4
dual-proc powermac to boot properly using Debian potato.

At the moment, yaboot boots to the 'boot:' prompt, but when the kernel
boots, I think the video fails to initialise properly.  I'm left with
a white OF screen with 'initing fake screen...' as the last thing
printed.

The debian-supplied kernel *does* boot properly, I'm wondering what
it's doing differently.  I've tried selecting sensible 'console
driver' options.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?  Also, how can I find
the kernel config options used when building the
'kernel-image_2.2.17-pmac' package?

Regards,
Gordon Grant