Re: Journaling Filesystems?

Quoting Michael Schmitz <schmitz@opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>:

> > I tried ext3 a while ago, and almost fried my system. Still, the power
> goes
> > out here often enough that I'd like a journaling filesystem. Does
> anyone
> > have some useful experience they could share concerning reiserfs, xfs,
> etc
> > on powerpc?
>
> This isn't powerpc specific, better ask on debian-user (or
> linux-kernel).
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm assuming above filesystems are reasonably endian safe.
> That's a safe bet since ext2 was converted to little endian, quite a few
> years back).

AFAIK, ReiserFS is not endian-safe. Ext3 might be and IBM's JFS as well as SGI's
XFS are in the work (check on penguinppc.org). The only bothering thing is that
the most advanced (in terms of nearing release quality) is ReiserFS, and it's
not supported...
But there seems to be other problems with it anyways.

You might want to look at TuxFS as well, lame name, but the theory seems
interesting (eg. it is not a journaling filesystem, but provides the same
advantages).

Cheers

/Hadess