Re: cursing my yboot'd Lombard

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > What should we initialize the palette registers to, in order to make the
> > > cursor visible again?
> >
> > Ah, that's another possible approach: initialize the palette such that
> > inverting the pixel value inverts the color.
> >
> > But I see one problem with that: how to know you're in 16-color text
> > console emulation mode or not? You don't want to mess with other palette
> > entries when e.g. running X.
>
> Well, judging from the fact that running X or not didn't change anything,
> I conclude that X doesn't use that palette entry at all (at least never
> wrote it). Or switching consoles saves/restores all palette entries -
> shouldn't it do that anyway?

I guess you're using Option "UseFBDev"? That's the expected behaviour in this
case, all the mode and palette handling is done using atyfb. Without that
option, the X server would do everything directly itself, but AFAIK it doesn't
run (yet) without on PPC? Of course, you could hack the server to always
access the palette registers directly if that might help any.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project