Re: usb support

--- Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 12:21:12PM -0800, Blue
> Thomas wrote:
>
> > pohl's right with the instructions, follew them
> and u
> > should be fine. if u dont have a zip disk, boot
> off
> > the CD if u can. u dont need that  'nvsetenv'
> program
> > to get your computers OF to boot into the yaboot's
> > bootstrap partition though. either place the
> > Apple_Bootstrap partition before the main MacOS
> > partition (which means reformattin the whole disk
> > unless u can move partitions around, im not sure
> if u
> > can with mac-fdisk), or place the Apple_Bootstrap
>
> yes you can, use the `r' command to do this, there
> is a note on how
> that works in my partitioning doc at:
>
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/
>
> > then type boot and it should work. for some
> reason, if
> > your yaboot.conf file doesnt point to the correct
> > place for your linux kernel, and u type in the
> place
> > at the yaboot prompt manually, u get a kernel
> panic
> > and it never boots. if that happens, boot with ur
> CD
> > or zip, hmount the bootstrap partition, edit the
> > yaboot.conf file urself, uhmount the partition,
> and
> > reboot.
>
> no no no, you edit /etc/yaboot.conf and rerun the
> `ybin' command. you
> should never have to manipulate the bootstrap
> partition yourself.
>
> > settin the env in OF is how i got OF to use the
> > bootstrap partition and not the macos partition..
> but
> > i think if u zap the pram it sets ur OF back to
> > default. im not sure i havent done that yet.
>
> yes default OF configuration will work so long as
> your bootstrap
> partition is before any macos partitions, and you
> used ybin in the
> reccommended way.

ybin gave me problems when i used it, im not sure what
they were anymore but its easier to mount the
bootstrap, edit the conf file, and unmount it. i dont
see the harm in it at all, as long as its not mounted
when the comp boots up or u run mkofboot.
there are other distros (SuSE maybe) that copy
everythin into dummy system folders and manually edit
the CHRP scripts and yaboot.conf in the blessed folder
itsself.
i fail to see the redflag with what i propose, my
computer has not imploded yet