INIT frezzes on boot

Has anybody heard of INIT freezing just as it is starting up on a PowerPC machine? I'm using my own custom kernel, but I'm using Debian's root.bin image to mount as root. After it mounts the root partition, the computer frees the unused kernel memory, and then hangs (I'm guessing it's trying to load init or something. Ctrl-Alt-Del still works, and it does a clean reboot, but I don't get the usual init messages that go along with it (e.g. INIT: Switching to runlevel 6), so I'm assuming that the machine is not "hung", but is instead waiting for something???

Eric Reischer                                   "You can't depend on your eyes
emr@engr.de.psu.edu if your imagination is out of focus."
emr@ccil.org                                                    -- Mark Twain