new install: hardware/software fix for cdrom drive?

Hello, I am trying to install debian potato on a friend's PowerMac
9500.  I got the base system installed, using bootx for booting, and I
am having trouble installing the rest of the packages from the CD
because it keeps on giving MEDIUM ERRORs of type L-ec uncorrectable.
however, the CD mounts fine on my i386 linux system.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I opened the CD drive up and tried to
clean off the laser window, which solved a CD problem with another
computer that I have, but this didn't change anything.

The CD-ROM drive is a quad-speed interal CDROM with (I suspect) IDE to
SCSI translation of some kind.

Would a newer kernel perhaps solve this problem?

display is /bandit/ATY,XCLAIM	Mach64GX (ATi888GX00) 4M VRAM

/dev/sda is channel 0, ID 0, LUN 0
/dev/sr0 is channel 0, ID 3, LUN 0

here are the rest of the specs:

PowerMac 9500/120, 9500/132
Processor: PPC604 (120 MHz, 132 MHz)
System:    7.5.2
RAM:       8-768 MB, 80 ns, 8 112 pin DIMM slots, 512K L2 cache
ROM:       4 MB
Ports:     ADB, 2 serial, SCSI, DB-15 video, stereo out, stereo in,
           10BaseT and AAUI-15 Ethernet connector
Floppy:    SuperDrive
Bays:      5 3.5" half-height bays, 2 5" full-height bays
Slots:     6 PCI
Video:     0-4MB VRAM
Audio:     16-bit stereo in, stereo out
Network:   LocalTalk, Ethernet
Size:      16.9 x 7.75 x 15.75 in, 28 lbs (43.0 x 19.6 x 40.0 cm, 12.7
kg)
Sold:      6/95 till Present
Features:  Internal Quad Speed CD-ROM Drive

Thanks a lot,
-BenRI

P.S. Is there a better list that I could send this to?
--
"...assisted of course by pride, for we teach them to describe the
 Creeping Death, as Good Sense, or Maturity, or Experience."