Re: Netscape package

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 04:15:50PM -0800, C.M. Connelly wrote:

> "NA" == Nelson Abramson <pogtal@erols.com>
> "BJ" == Bjorn Johansson <amigafreak@home.se>
>
>    BJ> I'm currently sitting with Netscape 4.73, but I know there
>    BJ> is a newer version, for Intel and many other platforms that
>    BJ> is. Do anyone know where I can find a newer ppc-version? I
>    BJ> downloaded 4.73 from www.linuxppc.com some time ago. When I
>    BJ> used Alien to make it a deb, I recevied some messages about
>    BJ> missing files. So, I have been suffering from too small
>    BJ> fonts and probably some other things too which I'm not
>    BJ> aware of =).
>
>    NA> There are apt-get'able Netscape packages; 4.08-4.75.  At
>    NA> the very least you can get rid of the app errors :-)
>
> Unfortunately, that's only sort of true.  The important package to
> look at is the communicator-smotif-<version> package, which is
> architecture-dependent.  The newest version for Debian PowerPC (in
> woody) is communicator-smotif-47.  That's version 4.7 -- as in
> 4.70 -- dated April 10, 2000.
>
> Communicator was apparently being built by the LinuxPPC folks from
> Netscape source and converted (by Dan?) to Debian packages; the
> last update from LinuxPPC was 4.73, and while they've been
> promising newer versions (including versions with 128-bit
> encryption) for months, I haven't seen any movement.
>
> I currently have an aliened Communicator 4.73 RPM installed, with
> the Debian netscape-base-4 and netscape-base-47 packages (which
> supply some nice ``extras'', such as netscape-remote, along with
> some basic configuration files, Xresources, etc.).  I don't see
> errors like the ones Bjorn alluded to, but I wouldn't guarantee I
> have the greatest browsing experience out there, either.
>
> I'm really looking forward to a stable Mozilla....

Just as a notice, i was really convinced by mozilla M18 (so much that i erased
netscape from my disk, as it crashed often when doing some java stuff.) at
least on i386 hardware (well my ppc box is offline, so no need for
netscape/mozzilla).

Don't know if the ppc version will be as stable, but i guess so, yes
mozilla_M18-2.deb is available in woody.

Friednly,

Sven LUTHER