Unable to switch VT from X4

Good evening-

    I just finished switching to Debian (finally) on my G4, and got the
Phase2 .debs from people.debian.org/~branden and they are working
excellently; except for one issue; I can't switch VTs from w/in X.
    From tty1-6 everything is fine; once I get into X, everything goes
to hell.  I spent an hour remapping the keys that seemed to get mangled
(rather than spend the time to figure out what keymap would be
appropriate, I just disabled Xkb and did it manually).  I thought that
perhaps I mangled one of the modifiers so that the keycode wasn't what
I thought it was; but everything is fine.

    I checked the XF86Config, and all of the options to ignore keycombos
are still commented out...unless I forgot to include one (although
everything should be fine since this is an old copy of my perviously
working XF86Config).

    The apple key and alt are both mapped to alt, control is control and
the function keys are mapped correctly (I'm using that terrible mini-usb
keyboard).  I'm out of ideas.  I also can't force kill the Xserver with
the ctrl+alt+delete, which would atleast let me work a little bit....

TIA
--Nelson Abramson

--
Make your vote count!  http://www.votenader.org