Re: kernel 2.2.18pre17-ben1 issues

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 05:02:17PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >I did read it ! I wouldn't have bogged anybody if that was in the
> >docs... I've got drive "SeekError" on my DVD drive, when it's not really
> >ready, but  I know that this is harmless. I was scared of the "lost
> >interrupt" thinking that some stuff still in the DMA cache could be
> >lost.
>
> No risk of losing datas, however, you may want to check that DMA is still
> ON on the drive after it has been woken up. Linux tends to disable DMA
> whenever it has to reset the drive.

indeed it will, this is why i use the enclosed initscript to set the
save settings bit on the drive at bootup. once i am satisfied the
drive is DMA OK.

#! /bin/sh

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/sbin/hdparm
NAME=hdparm
DESC="hdparm configuration"

test -f $DAEMON || exit 0

set -e

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Configuring /dev/hda "
            /sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda > /dev/null
            /sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/hda > /dev/null
        echo "Done."
        ;;
  stop)
        :
        ;;
  reload)
        :
        ;;
  restart|force-reload)
        #
        #       If the "reload" option is implemented, move the "force-reload"
        #       option to the "reload" entry above. If not, "force-reload" is
        #       just the same as "restart".
        #
        echo -n "Configuring /dev/hda "
            /sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda > /dev/null
            /sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/hda > /dev/null
        echo "Done."
        ;;
  *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        # echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

the /sbin/hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda > /dev/null keeps drive settings after
a ide reset. the other command i my attempt to keep the drive from
going into powersave mode. (it does not work unfortunatly, i have IBM
deskstar disks in both this G3 desktop and a intel box, they both like
to go into powersave mode every so often for some reason)

put this in /etc/init.d/hdparm chmod 755 and update-rc.d -f hdparm start 31 S .

then your dma settings will be preserved on IDE resets.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/