debian-powerpc: nightly backup of G4 required

I need to backup our G4 server every night.  Our tape backup unit an
internal scsi unit on a Win2000 based Dell server.  I have samba working
on the G4 so I could make a backup file to the G4 itself and then I can
configure the Win2000 backup software to copy that file.  Alternatively,
the output file could be written directly to the Win2000 server.
Any thoughts on which way to go.  My boss doesn't like the latter option
but I think it is just for disk space reasons.

Aside from those issues, what are the best programs to use to back up
the variaous partitions/filesystems.  The ones I know about are tar and
dump.  "apt-cache search backup" reveils the following:

taper - Full-screen system backup utility.
lg-issue29 - Issue 29 of the Linux Gazette.
lg-issue47 - Issue 47 of the Linux Gazette.
afbackup-client - Client-Server Backup System (Client side)
kbackup - KBackup is a single host backup solution for various media
afio - Archive file manipulation program.
kbackup-multibuf - Multibuf extends kbackup for multivolumes.
amanda-server - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver
(Server)
afbackup - Client-Server Backup System (Server side)
cpbk - An advanced copy and directory mirror program
kbackup-doc - The documentation for KBackup
buffer - Buffering/reblocking program for tape backups, printing, etc.
bsmtpd - Batched SMTP mailer for sendmail or postfix
mtx - controls tape autochangers
tar - GNU tar
dump - 4.4bsd dump and restore for ext2 filesystems
tob - Small yet powerful program for tape oriented backups.
floppybackup - Floppy backup using a diversity of floppy formats
mirrordir - duplicate a directory by making a minimal set of changes
palm-doctoolkit - E-text tools for PalmPilot users
amanda-client - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver
(Client)
casio - Backup utility for the CASIO diary.

Any recommendations of good and bad programs ??

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.