Re: MacOS overrules yaboot on double harddisk G4

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 08:27:19PM +0200, Georg Koss wrote:
> Hello all!
> Please help!
> I have problem with booting debian on two HD G4. After installing Debian with a "mkofboot ybin-0.26 yaboot 0.8 setup" of my debian-HD with rebooting to Debian immediatly works fine.
> But when I boot in MacOS on hda9 I loose the debian- button from the OF-Menue afterwards.

you didn't use the Apple_Bootstrap partition type did you?

> My fstab looks like
> hda9        HFS  (Mac)
> hdb9      bootstrap
> hdb10       swap
> hdb11         /
> hdb12       /home
> hdb13       /var
> hdb14      HFS (Mac)
>
> After unpacking the ybin-0.26 archive I did
> cd ybin-0.26
> cat ybin > /usr/sbin/ybin
> cp ofpath /usr/sbin
>
> mkofboot -b /dev/hdb9 -i ./yaboot -m ./ofboot --root /dev/hdb11 \
>     --partition 11 --device `ofpath /dev/hdb`

your really better off writing a real /etc/yaboot.conf and losing the
--root --partition and --device options.  those override
/etc/yaboot.conf and make a very basic one.

> BTW, on hda9 (Mac-HD with 10GB) runs Norton Antivirus for Mac. It is allowed to scan Desktop and Mac-Systemfolder. Can that be a problem for the bootstrap?

if your bootstrap partition is not type Apple_Bootstrap then macos
will always destroy it.  you *MUST* use mac-fdisk to create the
bootstrap partition.  apple's tool won't do it right.

run:

mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda

if your bootstrap partition has type "Apple_HFS" you need to delete it
and recreate it so the type is Apple_Bootstrap, then MacOS will no
longer destroy it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/