Re: XFBDev problem

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > Make sure the rpm was for 4.01 not 4.0 - 4.01 drivers don't mix with 4.0 X
> > > servers.
> > >
> > Yes, it's the 4.0.1-0.36a build from Franz Sirl. I just managed to clear
> > 200MB of disk space for the build and reinstall from source. Same symptoms
> > so far, but then I did some more experimenting and it turned out that it
> > rather seems to be an application-specific problem:
> >
> > Under Window Maker, XF4 crashes frequently. Same w/ gnome and any wm.
> > AfterStep, Blackbox and Enlightenment by themselves are stable, FVWM and
> > Sawmill probably as well.
>
> Gnome with Enlightenment used here (from thr fall 1999 release) and no
> stability problems whatsoever.
>
> > Furthermore, the crashes under wmaker seem actually to be caused by one of
> > the dockable applets. I've shut off wmload, wmcpu and friends, and currently
> > three X sessions are running on my Lombard (as, e and wmaker), for 1-5
> > hours now including some heavy use of mtvp and GL animations.
>
> Sounds normal :-)
>
> > I'll try to single out the culprit among the wmaker applets, maybe a
> > recompile of the app will fix it.
>
> Shouldn't be necessary - but maybe one of the applets ignores a protocol
> error sent by the X server and just keeps on talking. Even this should not
> bring down the server though.

True, as Michel already wrote. Turned out it was wmcpu that causes the
crashes, quite reproducible, in any environment. Lots of VC switching or
Recompiling didn't help anything.
In case anyone wants to investigate, I've put wmcpu with my original
binary up on ftp://saturn.astrophysik.uni-kiel.de/pub/homeier/ppc/ .

Thanks for the advice,
							Derek