Re: Booting to Linux after installing MacOS X (Was: Re: gettingpismo to boot by itself "smoke test")

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 09:48:21PM +0200, Gerhard Reuteler wrote:
> i'm still in trouble with pismo:
> The dbootstrap-Programm brings ofboot.b to my mac partition! Ok, I
> mounted it and told mkofboot the place where to find ofboot.b.
> # mkofboot --boot /dev/hda9 -m /target/mnt/mac1/ofboot.b --root
> /dev/hda10 --partition 10

ok, what ofboot.b are you using? if you just grabbed the one out of a
0.20somthing ybin that won't work.  why are you not using the one in
/target/etc/ofboot.b ?

> Then I'm asked, whether I want my Bootstrap-partion to be formatted HFS.
> When I say "N", the process is aborted.When I say "y", something works,

this is normal, it is to make sure you understand this destroys
everything on chosen bootstrap partition, which is a bit different
then other bootloaders.

> but after reboot (with the option key pressed) I arrive in MacOS.
> My partiton Table is:

the option key should enter the OF button chooser...  maybe your model
does not support that.

> ..
> ..
> ..
> /dev/hda9	Apple_Bootstrap
> /dev/hda10 Apple_Unix...	/
> /dev/hda11	Swap			swap
> /dev/hda13	Apple_HFS  	my Mac-partition mounted on /mnt/mac1
> /dev/hda14	Apple_Unix...	/home
> /dev/hda15	Apple_Hfs 		tiny Mac-partition
> /dev/hda16	Apple_Free
> Thanks for help
> Gerhard

ok this looks ok, (except hda15 should be Apple_HFS not Apple_Hfs, but
i assume that is just a typo)

i think there is something wrong with the ofboot.b you are using,
perhaps its the newer version that is incompatible with older ybin.
the /target/etc/ofboot.b should work fine on your machine (you may
have to fix the <COMPATIBLE> not sure..)

also, did you try resetting OpenFirmware?  its possible that your
boot-device variable is set to your macos partition, if you reset OF
it will use the first bootable device which would be the bootstrap
partition:

try this, shut down, and cold boot while holding down

command option p r

until it reboots itself 3 times, then see if it boots the bootstrap
partition instead.  (this won't be an issue in potato r1, which has a
ybin capable of fixing OF for you)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/