debian-powerpc: Why does my PowerBook click ???

I have a new PowerBook G3 and it continually clicks.  Sometimes it
doesn't click for 10 seconds or so and at other times it clicks close to
every second.
I'm running Potato with kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac, xfree-4.0.1 (self
compiled) and with all the latest proposed updates.

It's clicking through the speakers.  It's the kind of sound you get when
you plug/unplug an amplifier while it is turned on.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how can I get rid of the
anoying clicks ???

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.