Re: using 2 scsi drives on different buses in a 7600/120

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 12:05:20PM -0500, Matthew M Carroll wrote:
> I have 2 scsi drives in my 7600/120 under Mac OS I can see both drives but
> when I boot into linux I can only see one of the drives? I have tried
> linux-ppc, yellow dog and debian. I would like to use debian because its
> my dist of choice. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. the drives are
> a Fujitsu 1.2G and a IBM 4.5G.

This is apparently a known problem, but nobody who can fix it has access to
a 7600 with two disks. The workaround I've settled on goes like this:

1) Ensure that the disk with your root partition is /not/ on the disk which
cannot be seen (the disk which came with the machine, neh?), and that that
disk with root has the lowest scsi ID of your disks. This prevents
/etc/fstab from being thrown off when your other disk suddenly appears as
sda.

2) Add the following command to a script somewhere in /etc/rc.boot:
   echo 'scsi add-single-device' > /proc/scsi/scsi
You might have to use the extended syntax, 'scsi add-single-device HOST
CHANNEL ID LUN' (I /think/) if that doesn't work. The above works for me.

The fact that this works makes me think that it's some sort of
timing/startup problem. Additionally, it only occurs using BootX, not quik.
I have no idea how to fiddle with timings, though, and now that I've
switched over to quik (it boots /so/ fast :) I don't care that much.

G'luck,

Peter