Re: pmud & closed powerbook

>I've run my Lombard closed with linux for an hour at a time with no
>trouble. I just kill pmud and close it. I usually turn my backlight
>all the way down first...

Well, you don't have trouble, that's fine. All I can say is that Apple
does indeed ack some heat dissipation problems with those machines and
tell people not to run them with the lid closed. If you choose to ignore
that, that's your problem ;) But don't scream if your hard disk life is
half what is supposed to be or if your machine dies earlier than expected.

>I was unaware of any temperature management in MacOS (I thought it was
>controlled in hardware), but if it exists i'd be interested in
>implementing something to control it. I'd like to be able to turn my fan
>on at a lower temperature then is the hardware default. Do you know
>anything about the interface to such things?

It's not fan control. The fan is controlled by HW and turned ON as soon
as the temperature reach some cricital watermark. MacOS has additional
ways of controlling the temperature by controlling the fan more
precisiely, but also by using the G3 built-in temperature sensors and
instruction cache throttling. This seems to be especially important on
the Cube which appears to have even more temperature problems than PowerBooks.

Ben.