Re: Installation super-woes on PowerBook 3400

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > I gather the default LinuxPPC kernel has CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT=y ? (at least,
> > my .config had it, generated by make pmac-config and make
> > menuconfig)... Is it absolutely mandatory to remove this option?
>
> So what exactly do we lose by turning this off?  The messages will
> still be made available later on, right?

what do we lose? I don't know, I don't even know what the BootX text
is! :)

Oh, and...

cmd-opt-o-f worked. I'm now inside Open Firmware, 2.0.1: here's some
output (maybe I did something wrong in quik.conf... ?)
(my root partition is /dev/hda5)

<greeting messages skipped>
0 > setenv boot-device ata0/ata-disk@0:5
 ok
0 > boot Second-stage QUIK loader
Type l, off, d
boot: l

Fatal error: Unable to open filesystem

Image not found... try again
boot:

Should my /boot have been HFS?

I can't get to my quik.conf now to verify, since I can't boot,
not even from CD... Not even from my miboot partition!... argh...

Patrix.
==
http://www.patrix.org
"You can have Peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at the same time." - Robert A. Heinlein