Re: Installation super-woes on PowerBook 3400

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:

> because there are not 6 ugly Apple_Driver type partitions littering
> your partition table ;-)

ah ok... well, I knew for a fact that the drivers weren't there: the hard
disk came from a NetWinder, and was never touched by MacOS... :)

> which source tarball?  AFAIK only the debian patched sources work, all
> others are broken on ppc (unless patches have been merged but then
> again there are alot of broken quiks laying around)

The one on ftp.ca.debian.org in the potato source directory. As you said,
it was broken, but I applied the patch and everything compiled.

> you need to change OpenFirmware's boot-device variable.
>
> if you get the ybin 0.21 tarball and use the ofpath utility you can
> find the correct path to do this run:
>
> ofpath /dev/hda
>
> and add a 0 to the end of what it gives you, then run:
>
> nvsetenv boot-device path
>
> where path is the output of ofpath.
>
> > Considering my partition map, how should I configure quik?
>
> what do you have now for a quik.conf?

I'll try the way Claus set it up, modifying his own quik.conf...

> typical redhat install procedure, ignore whatever the user told us to
> do and install whatever we want.

Let's add to this the woes of Kudzu (on PC) which told me that a certain
device was not there and so removed the configuration. After that, my
CDROM drive was totally useless in RH. Good thing I said goodbye to RedHat
2 years ago, when I switched to SuSE (then to Slackware, and now to
Debian...)

> the volume name is irrelevant anyway, you would only see it in macos
> which is quite absent from your machine.

true, or from the hfsutils.. :)

> fix your openfirmware variable to enable quik.

Will do, as soon as I compile my kernel... I'll tell you how it goes.

Thanks,
Patrix (who desperately needs imap or something to sync his email between
his PC, his mail server, his laptop, and his NetWinder ;)  )