ethernet but ppp fails (was install woes)

Well I gave up on this one and set up anon ftp. But for some reason I
cannot go beyond my ethernet. pon dials and ifconfig reports that I am
connected. But all attempts to ping outside go towards my ethernet. So
apt-config can't use an outside ftp server. The other computer I am
connected does not have any pppd, it is strictly for ethernet. What
should I do?

Thanks,

Taro
--- Begin Message ---
I've succeeded in installing the base system. Why doesn't the installer
let me specify a non-anonymous ftp server for install? Is there a way to
set this up?

Thanks,

Taro