Re: boot-floppy-hfs.img

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 10:35:57PM -0400, John R. MacPhail wrote:
> I want a physical rescue floppy.  (I am relucant to depend on my
> Iomega Zip drive, as they appear to provide MacOS-only software for
> it.  My CD drive is read-only, and somewhat unreliable.)
>
> Under Disk Copy (version 6.3.3), boot-floppy-hfs.img does yield a
> virtual floppy disk, which Apple's Finder says has `2.6 MB on disk
> (2,801,704 bytes) for 11 items'.   Yet it is supposedly a 1.4 MB disk.
> What gives?

did you double click the image file?  if so you likely ruined it, disc
copy will mount the image read-write then MacOS will probably see the
`macos' on it is fake and remove the boot blocks.

here is a howto on making a boot floppy from image in macos i wrote
some time ago:

---begin---
> after a earlier message i did some testing of dd floppy images and
> Apple's disk copy 6.3.3, a friend of mine claimed it would make
> floppies from dd images with no special effort, i however had to
> fsck
> with it to get it to work... but it DOES work:
>
> you must set the file type and creator of the dd image to type:
> `DDim'
> Creator: ddsk
>
> then LOCK THE FILE, do this before you even attempt to touch it with
> Disk copy, it will loop back mount the image read-write at the drop
> of
> a hat, and if it does that MacOS will of course helpfully remove the
> boot blocks ruining the floppy image.
>
> run Disk Copy, and select `Make Floppy' from the Utilities menu,
> select the LOCKED image file from the resulting dialog.  it will ask
> you to insert a floppy, then ask if you really want to erase
> it. (yup were using macos alright...) it should sit there for awhile
> working on it and when done it should eject the floppy.
>
> when the floppy is ejected SET THE WRITE PROTECT TAB!  otherwise if
> you accidently mount it in macos, macos will `helpfully' ruin it.
>
> Dan:  add the following line to your maps file for mkhybrid when
> creating CD images:
>
> .img        Raw     'ddsk'    'DDim'   "floppy_image"
>
> this will cause the image files on the CD to show up with the
> correct
> file type/creator in macos.
>
> for people downloading from ftp you will have to use resedit or
> something to change the file types (or try configuring `internet
> config' to set files with the .img extension to the above
> type/creator, but that probably won't work)
>
> unless i set these file types Disk copy kept whining about an error
> -54 (iirc that means resource fork not found.  i hate HFS...)
---end---

> Well, I tried dragging the visible stuff (4 files, I think it was)
> from that virtual disk to a physical floppy, and booting from that.
> There was a cute icon for a few seconds, followed by what appeared to
> be launching of a kernel with the wrong video mode for my monitor.
> (In BootX, `video=atyfb:vmode:6,cmode:32' works for me.  The `6' means
> 640 X 480 pixels at 67 Hz.) Is there some trivial procedure for passing
> arguments to the kernel on this floppy?

yes you cannot just drag and drop files, there is special flags in the
filesystem and a boot block that must exists, these cannot be copied
in MacOS.  (except by procedure above)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/