Re: Kernel Panic: no init found

Aaron Davies wrote:

> I've completed the basic installation from the rescue floppy ramdisk,
> but when I turn the ramdisk off and tell BootX to boot with /dev/sda5
> (my Linux native partition) as root, I get the following error message:
>
> Kernel panic: no init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
> Rebooting in 180 seconds..
>
> What does this mean and what can I do about it?

When you boot, does the "Partition check" for that drive list your partition?
Later, does it say something like "Mounting root partition read-only"?  Does it
add the swap partition successfully?

When you boot with the ramdisk, you should be able to mount your existing Linux
partition(s).  Then you can use alt-F2 to switch to a different console and open
a shell (and switch back to the install console with alt-F1).  "df" will verify
that the partitions are where you say they are (your installed root partition
should be mounted as /target/).

Then do "ls target/sbin" and you should see init.  It shouldn't be necessary to
pass an "init=" parameter.

I'm not an expert on these things, this is the best I can do without being at
the machine, but there's probably someone here who knows what else could be
going wrong.

Hope this helps in some small way,

-Adam P.